Weekly History and Geography - 38

Photographs can lie. They certainly do in the Soviet Union from 1929 to 1953, the years of Joseph Stalin's dictatorial rule. Stalin's agents routinely arrest and kill as "enemies of the people" anyone who disagrees with his politics. Communist Party workers then try to remove any trace of these people from the photographic archives, and so from the media.  Click the following link to see how Stalin "edited" history through the manipulation of photographs.  http://www.newseum.org/berlinwall/commissar_vanishes/index.htm

Then, return to the blog and reflect on a picture and/or fact you learned from the website.
1.  What was it about the picture and/or fact that stuck with you?  Explain.
2.  Why do you think is was important to Stalin to edit history?
3.  Do you think any US history in pictures or print have been edited?  Explain.

1 comment:

  1. Magge Condry-Krizan!June 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM

    Hi Mrs.Woerner!!!!!!! I hope your summer is going well! I am so bored so I decided to do something educational! 1. I cant believe that they would erase things from pictures because a person got shot! I can not believe they would take him out I think that is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2.I think he wanted to make it seem like the "bad people" were never alive.
    3.Yeah I definitally do because even some pictures that people dont put in the press are edited. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete